We understand that moving in and out can be stressful, and we want to make the experience as smooth as possible. Wondering when and where to sign your lease? Not sure how to go about picking up your keys? Unsure what to do if you choose not to renew when your lease is up? Our staff will be more than happy to go over the details with you. For an overview of our move-in and move-out processes, see the outlines below.
- Once your deposit has been received, a targeted move-in date will be provided. In most circumstances, the deposit is equal to 1 month of the rental amount. This will become your security deposit at the time of move-in.
- As the targeted move-in date approaches, we will schedule a move-in appointment at our office.
- The first month’s rent is due at the time of move-in.
- Depending on your move-in date, there may be a prorated rent amount due for the partial month. This will be calculated and provided to you at the time of move-in. This will be due on the 1st of the month.
- All required utilities (ie. electric and gas service) must be changed over into the tenant’s name before the move-in appointment at our office. You will be required to provide a confirmation number from the utility provider.
- For those properties located within the City of Detroit, the tenant will be required to have the water account for the property changed over into the name of the tenant. A money order for $150 made payable to “Board of Water” must be provided at the time of move-in. The “Application for Service” and “Affidavit of Tenant/Lessee Responsibility for Water and Sewerage Bills” will be completed and signed at the time of move-in.
- Tenants will receive a set of keys, a move-in packet with relative information, and a move-in condition report at the designated move-in time.
- Tenants have 7-days after move-in to return the completed “Commencement Inventory Checklist” to our office. If any issues are noted with the property condition, the tenant must notify the office within the allotted time. Failure to return the “Commencement Inventory Checklist” may affect the return of your security deposit upon move-out. If tenants choose to resolve the issue on their own at there own expense, we will not be responsible for rectifying the issue, and the issue will be marked as resolved.
- Before vacating, the tenant is required to give a 30-day written notice that they will be vacating (one full month before the lease end date).
- Tenants must schedule a move-out appointment with the office at least 24 hours before move-out.
- Under the State of Michigan Security Deposit Law, “You must notify your landlord in writing, within 4 days after you move, of a forwarding address where you can be reached and where you will receive mail; otherwise your landlord shall be relieved of sending you an itemized list of damages and the penalties adherent to that failure”.
- Tenants are to return the property in its original condition and left broom clean. Carpets should be professionally cleaned and a receipt provided to the office the following condition:
- Property should be returned to its original condition
- Interior to be cleaned as per our guidelines.
- Carpets should be professionally cleaned and a receipt provided to the office at the designated move-out appointment.
- Tenant’s security deposit is applied to charges in the following order:
- Any outstanding tenant balance including unpaid tenant charges, unpaid late fees, and unpaid rents. (if applicable)
- Property damage beyond normal wear and tear. (if applicable)
- Any necessary interior cleaning/carpet cleaning. (if applicable)
- Any remaining balance owed is the tenant’s responsibility and is to be paid within 30 days of the tenant receiving a statement of security deposit liquidation. Unpaid balances after 30 days will be submitted to collections.
- Tenant’s security deposit will be returned within 30 days of move-out to the forwarding address provided as previously set forth.